Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th

As some of you already know...we found 2 turtles in our yard the other day. Seems like we have had alot of wildlife in the yard this year and the boys love it!
I was sitting down to lunch and the crazy dog would just not stop barking! Finally having enough I went to see what the problem was...another dog, cat , WHAT? Two turtles becoming friends in the yard ;) I went and and got the boys and we all went to check them out, minus dog. Brought them up on the deck, one must have been picked up many time before because it was not scared of us. It took off as soon as we put him down and the other hung out for a couple of hours before finally making the trip down the hill, but not before the boys had to give it some leaves.there he goes
The second turtle was in the same place for at least 3 hours.

I'm not scared of you!!!
(I think they are Eastern Box Turtles.)




They sure did have pretty markings. The boys put a dot of pink nail polish on the top of each shell. That way if we see them again we know we have already caught them in the yard. There are at least 4 maybe 5 turtles living close to the house.
We have now caught and released...frogs, toads, lizards, a snake, and 2 turtles so far this year! Can't wait to see what else the boys will find! :)


3 comments:

  1. How fun!! I can remember driving my mom crazy bringing in everything I'd find..lol, the best was a big black snake...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, they are so adorable. I saw one of those in my yard last year. We too have much nature around us. Right now, we're seeing a red fox, a doe with 2 fawn, and multiple racoon, chipmunks and squirrels daily. The fox pops in once a week or so, but she's not very afraid of us either... strange I know. She'll walk out of the woods until she gets about 20 feet away from you, then she'll stop and just watch before continuing on her way.

    Enjoy all your wildlife!

    Dawn

    http://designsbydawnmarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it....how exciting...sounds like you live in the perfect place...

    ReplyDelete